At the core of this dairy-free beverage lies the centuries-old Indian recipe of Haldi Doodh, which is consumed in millions of Indian households even today. Ancient texts on Indian gastronomy and Ayurveda have mentioned turmeric for its antioxidant and healing properties. It is also known to build resilience against respiratory diseases and viral infections.
My mother has always prepared these using dairy milk and talked about the importance of getting your daily dose of turmeric in your diet. Here I have provided with my own version of the famous Golden Milk and made it dairy-free. I use Oatly or Valio oat milk which is the one we have available here in Sweden, but you may use any other unsweetened brand of either oat milk or any other milk substitute. Hope you will enjoy this as much as I have enjoyed experimenting with this to make it just right for our taste buds. Having this cup is the perfect ailment for cold and rainy autumn days and sit indoors with a book or curl up in front of a captivating TV-series.
If you would like to see more recipes like this, please subscribe to my website so you get notified whenever I post a new entry and follow me on Instagram @holistichealthbykimmi and leave me a comment. Would love to hear from you!
Turmeric Latte | Haldi Doodh
- 2 cups unsweetened milk substitute e.g. oat milk, almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk
- 1½ tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tsp turmeric powder preferably organic
- 1 pinch ground black peppar optional
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch T-spice optional (from Indian grocery store)
- Pour the milk into a deep pan and cook over medium to high heat until it’s hot, but don’t boil the milk.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients while stirring.
- Taste the result and add more milk, turmeric, cinnamon or syrup if needed.
- You may use a milk frother to get a fluffier texture, but it’s entirely optional. If you have a blender, you may use it to blend together the hot milk with the other ingredients.
- Pour the content of the pot in two cups and sprinkle with some T-spice if you want before serving. Enjoy!
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
I would love to hear from you as a reader! If you have tried making this recipe then please leave a comment below and share it with others through Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. For Instagram mention @holistichealthbykimmi and/or tag #holistichealthbykimmi
RECIPE BY: Kimmi Sandhu